Plumbing Fail or I AM SHE-RA!

Today was radiator removal day.  I had been warned by Paul not to do it myself.... I think mainly because, like most regular people, things like plumbing and electrical are somewhat a mystery to us.  I guess that's why plumbers and electricians can get away with charging a fortune for their services.

Luckily (ha ha) for me, I have Google.  If some 16yr old in Ukraine can find out how to build a bomb or hack into NASA via Google, I'm pretty confident I can handle simple plumbing.   Can't be that hard, can it?

I did a little research beforehand.  Watched a radiator removal on YouTube and even sought instruction from a heating/air con guy I know.  (even spent two days with a radiator key in my pocket.... becoming one with the radiator.... ;o)

Things you need to remove a radiator.  Old rags or towels, wrench, radiator key, bucket and a small bowl.

Step 1:  turn off the thermostat valve (lefty loosey, righty tighty - thanks Catherine Willows from CSI!)  Or for people like me...  it's the valve on the same side as the bleed valve on the top of the rad.

Step 2:  loosen the large nut attached to the radiator and slide the bowl under the connection to catch the water.

Step 3:  open the bleed valve

Step 4:  let the rad drain as much as possible.

Step 5:  undo the other side in order to lift the rad off the wall.  And this is where it gets hairy...

Filled with confidence after getting this far, I took the wrench to the other nut and gave it a tug.  No movement.  Applied a little more force... nothing.  Although I did notice the pipe going into the other side was bending.  OH SH*T.   Then the paint flaked off....  D@MN IT!   Then the water started to drip....  @(*%_%£(&@!!&(!?

So I've bent the pipe and now it's leaking.  I am She-Ra!!  I can bend pipe dude!

Here's a general representation of the text I sent to my heating/air con friend.

"HELP!!!!!  Can you come over and help me please?"

Paul's gonna kill me.  Although he says he's not going to beat me first.

;-)  Pictures to follow.

Mother's Day in the UK tomorrow.  Am I the only one in the world who's looking forward to an entire day of uninterrupted DIY?  ... After the champagne breakfast in bed.

Night all!

Comments

  1. You get mother's day, I get my birthday. Knowing both our men, I think you'll get the better day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment