I LOVE THE SMELL OF WALLPAPER GLUE IN THE MORNING

I LOVE THE SMELL OF WALLPAPER GLUE IN THE MORNING - Part One


We have picked up the wallpaper steamer. I'm a bit skeptical but I'll give it a go anyway. Whenever my father started a wallpaper stripping job, we were all armed with spray bottles of some magic wallpaper stripping stuff..... might explain my strangeness.... (Then again, I was 7, it was probably just water but whatever it was, it didn't work very well and took forever!)

So with skepticism firmly in check, we set off to pick up the steamer from our friend's place.

On the way, we also stopped at Homebase for wood filler (for the holes in the door trim), plaster filler (for the inevitable cracks and gouges I'm likely to make worse) and LOTS of sandpaper. We didn't buy the masks mainly because they were seriously overpriced and tea towels do just as well. Besides, they're way funnier.

Here she is. The glorious wallpaper steamer. A kettle with a hose on it. When you get one of these, make sure you read the directions. I normally don't but Paul wouldn't let me plug it in until I did.

1. Prepare your walls by scoring the surface with diagonal lines going both ways to create a diamond pattern. Don't skip this step! (like I normally would) It helps the steam get in behind the paper to loosen the glue.
2. Fill up the water resevoir and replace hose.
3. Plug in
4. Wait 15 mins for the steam
5. Apply the steamer head to the wall and hold for 10-15 secs (of course you will have to reapply the steamer head to the same area a few times so the water soaks the paper fully)
6. Start scraping
7. Breathe in the scent of wet wallpaper glue deeply
8. Giggle manically
9. Be careful of boiling hot water dripping all over the place!!

Look what I did in just an hour!

Still giggling....

Comments