The dreaded "Multi-Buy" or You Are Getting Sleeeepy......

Here it is.  My first post in over 3 years.   Really, it's a post I wrote ages ago but never published.  Thought you might like it.


We all want to save money on our weekly shopping, don't we?   Those of you in Canada and the USA have the advantage of store and manufacturers coupons which offer a certain monetary discount.

 Thus, the extreme couponer was born.   I am jealous because I love a bargain and getting something for next to nothing just makes me squeal in delight.   This is also why I can't watch those extreme couponing programs on tv.

We, in the UK, don't have this phenomenon because most stores and manufacturers don't normally offer "money off" coupons.   No,  instead,  we get ....  the dreaded multi-buy.

This is the thing where if you buy 2, you get 1 free... or buy 1 for £2.99 but buy 2 for  £5.00. 

I HATE these. 

Here's why. 

1) You almost always buy more than you need.  If participating in multi-buys involving perishables, there is a great chance the second or third item you bought is going to go bad.

2)  You almost always buy more than you need.   It's well known that humans waste ALOT more than is necessary.  It's stupid for so many reasons.  Stop doing it.   

3)  There's a really good chance that you are actually paying more for a product when there may be a cheaper alternative. 

4)  I don't like being a sheep.  Supermarkets don't offer things on sale or in multi-packs just to be kind.  Take note of how you are manipulated by the food stores.  Sometimes I don't do multi-buys just out of spite.


Now that's not to say I never do multi-buys, I do, but I also make sure what I am buying won't go to waste and that I cannot get a better deal elsewhere.  Sometimes I ignore multi-buys because I just don't need three packs of celery.  Doesn't matter how cheap they are.

There is one particular retailer who is notorious for crazy pricing when it comes to multi-buys.   I love going shopping there because I treat it as a game...  "Spot the Screw-Over"    It's fun!

For example, they once had a nice deal on 2 x 500ml bottles of shampoo for something like £4.00.  Whoop whoop right?   Until you actually look on the bottom shelf to find a 1L bottle of the same shampoo for only £2.95.    WTF?   Sometimes I wonder if it's not a big game to them to see how many people they can catch out.  And yet,  they do...  all the time. 

If you want to waste your grocery money,  waste it at a farmer's market or independent butcher shop.  

Comments